Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What (Weird) Dreams May Come


Weird Dream #1

I found myself in China because I was attending a conference. Before proceeding into the hotel, someone from work called to tell me that they weren’t able to book me a hotel to stay at while I was there. I did not get mad, instead I told them that I’ll find a hotel myself and for them not to worry. The only thing that made it worse is that they could not send money for the hotel, so I had to use the pocket money that they gave me. Now, I didn’t get to see how much I had, but based on my reaction in the dream, I definitely did not have a lot. It seemed though that I had enough to stay in a decent 3-star hotel for 2 days and 2 nights, since food was going to be provided at the conference anyway.

So the conference was done, and I started walking the streets of China to look for a decent and affordable hotel. I had the pleasant surprise of running into Zaldy, who was then dressed very smartly and had the air of an invited professional speaker. He was also attending a conference there, and would be staying a week. I thought to myself (yes, I even had my own thoughts in my dreams!), what luck! Zaldy’s here! However, when I asked him if I could split the hotel room with him, he told me that he already had a room mate, and that the hotel would be too much for my very limited budget. I understand that he said this not out of haughtiness, but because he understood that if I exceeded the budget that the office gave me, then I would be in a bind when I get home. So, I said goodbye and walked on to resume looking. After just a few minutes of wandering, imagine my surprise when I ran into M and A! They were on vacation, it was A’s birthday (I think) and they were celebrating. I relayed my concern to them, when M confirmed that he could share his room with me (he’s still such a cheapskate!)! I was so relieved. A left to go shopping, and we started walking to their hotel. It was a long walk, and I started to notice that we were going through dark and dingy alleys. But I thought, beggars can’t be choosers, so I firmly told myself that this is what your budget allows you, so suck it up! Upon finally finding the right street and entering the building, I realized that there were no floors going UP the building, only DOWN! He held my hand and led me downstairs. Now imagine this: if you’ve seen those clowns on stilts, imagine those stilts being the steps going down to another floor, only these were made of metal. Imagine me, a woman of about 250++ lbs, stepping on stilts like those, the entire building seemed to shift and sway, but I still doggedly went on because I so wanted to rest. However, halfway down, I felt an impending sense of doom that I suddenly blurted out that ‘I don’t want to do this anymore!’ and ran out. M ran after me, but stopped after realizing that he won’t catch me. He literally screamed at me ‘hindi pa tayo tapos!’ Oh my gosh, that creeped the hell out of me so I ran, and ran, and ran…

Part 2 tomorrow…

No comments: