Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blitzkrieg


Retrenchment
Definition: economize; cut something out; reorganize
Reaction: worry, disbelief, disillusion, stress, panic, relief

A week ago, I learned the reason behind the flight (as in departure from the company) of many of the expats in our company. We were retrenching.

Apparently, this has already happened some years ago, when the Philippine office wasn’t doing nearly as well as they hoped it would. There were no new projects, and there were too many people to be paid. So they retrenched, and had many casualties.

Obviously, we are in the same scenario today, so people are watchful and scared out of their wits as to what will happen after the general assembly on Wednesday.

The main problem here is that the employees were not informed -- employees such as myself. If it weren’t for one of my officemates who just had to rant about what she felt regarding this issue, I wouldn’t have known. I probably would just find myself after everything standing on the corner of the street, wondering what hit me. For some reason, there was a leak, and everywhere I go I hear whispers about retrenchment, retrenchment, retrenchment, until it became a deafening roar that I could not ignore anymore.

I’ve already gone through my super-duper-stressed stage, and asking-my-co-workers stage, so on the day before D-Day, I’ve decided that I have had enough time to worry. Of course, I have to admit that I still could not focus on my work; my mind keeps wondering on my so-called plans after getting retrenched.

Yes, I have resigned myself to the fact that there is a very high probability that I will be one of the casualties of this blitzkrieg.

Wish me luck. Tomorrow is another day, and who knows? Tomorrow might change my life, yet again.

No comments: